Joséphine Douet's work explores the notion of intimacy and its construction through her documentary yet often abstract photographs. She tries in every series to approach a new aspect of the question. Is privacy a personnal feeling or a universal sensation, how do you build it, how do you pierce it? Douet likes to open up closed universes, often quite unknown, often disappearing, dissecting the rules and codes in every new world she works on. The artistic challenge and the kick of discovering an unknown domain are always the starting point of a new project, that becomes an obsession through the research of a new point of view of her own.
During 10 years, she photographed the Parisian Haute Couture shows backstage in her series « Coutures ».
She also worked deeply on the anthropologic side of bullfighting through the trilogy “Peajes”, “Alma Herida” and “Silencios”.
Her last project is an immersion into painter Andrew Wyeth’s world, through a commission of the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza in Madrid, Spain.
She has photographed or collaborated with Rufus Wainwright, Sophie Auster, Alexander McQueen, Bartabas, Christian Lacroix, Maison Valentino, Jose Maria Manzanares, Viktor & Rolf, Loewe, Delpozo…
Her photographs have been published in Rolling Stone, Vanity Fair, Elle, Esquire, GQ, Liberation, El Pais, Paris Match, Harper’s Bazaar…
Her works have been shown at Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, Hudson River Museum, Aipad, PhotoEspaña, Visa pour l’Image, Galerie Anne Clergue, Mondo Galeria, Galerie de l’Hôtel Jules et Jim…
Anne Clergue Gallery (France)
Mondo Galeria (Spain)
Throckmorton Fine Art (New York, USA)
Selected solo exhibitions :
- 2017 : Wyeth Wonderland - Hudson River Museum. Yonkers, New York, USA.
- 2016 : Coutures - PHOTOESPAÑA, Official section, Museo del Traje. Madrid, Spain.
- 2016 : The Secret sits - Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum. Madrid, Spain.
- 2015 : Manzanares père et fils - Anne Clergue Gallery. Arles, France.
- 2014 : Coutures - Mondo Galeria. Madrid, Spain.
- 2014 : Silencios - VISA pour l’Image. Perpignan, France.
- 2014 : Silencios - Anne Clergue Gallery. Arles, France.
- 2013 : Peajes - Galerie de Hôtel Jules et Jim. Paris, France.
- 2012 : Alma Herida - Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas. Madrid, Spain.
- 2010 : Peajes - Espace 14. Nîmes, France.
- 2010 : Peajes - PHOTOESPAÑA . Madrid, Spain.
- 2010 : Coutures - Institut Français de Madrid. Madrid, Spain.
- 2009 : Peajes - Centro de Bellas Artes. Alicante, Spain.
Collective shows :
- 2016 : Premio Fundacion ENAIRE - Sala Sert, Ministerio de Fomento. Madrid, Spain.
- 2016 : Aipad Photography show, Throckmorton Fine Art, NYC, USA.
- 2016 : Finalist Premio Fundación ENAIRE
- Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza and private collections.
- “Matadores”. Bio Channel, 2012. (still photographer / interview – episode nº5)
Languages : French, English, Spanish, Italian, Norwegian, Danish, German.